Ten thousand years ago glacial River Warren flowed through the Minnesota River Valley on which Carver is situated, carrying melt water away from retreating glaciers and leaving rich deposits of clay, sand, gravel, and fine silt soils, while cutting a deep and spectacular landscape. The River Warren was variously called the Riviere Pierre, the St. Peter River, Maddepaw, Menesotar, and finally the Minnesota River. Minnesota, a Dakota Indian name given to both the river and the state, means “sky tinted water”.
In 1980 the old town of Carver became one of the first historic districts in Minnesota to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Carver Historic District included eighty-seven buildings and four structures of historical significance from 1850-1925, with respect to early river town settlement, commerce, dwelling places, and architecture. On Oct. 26, 2005 Carver attained Certified Local Government status by the Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office. In the summer of 2007 the White House proclaimed Historic Carver a Preserve America Community, the eighth to be so named in Minnesota.
Historic District Resources
From the North – Take CSAH 11 south / turn left on 6th St. W. / turn right on Broadway
From the East – Take US Hwy 212 west / take the Jonathan Carver Pkwy Exit / take a left on Jonathan Carver Pkwy / turn left on 6th St. W. / turn right on Broadway
From the West – Take US Hwy 212 east / take the Jonathan Carver Pkwy Exit / take a right on Jonathan Carver Pkwy / turn left on 6th St. W. / turn right on Broadway
From the South – Take CSAH 11 north / turn right on CSAH 40 (Main St. W.)