Floodplain Resources

Page Last Updated: 9/14/15

A revised FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) will be adopted in the spring of 2016 for the City of Carver. This map will show the newly configured boundaries for the 100-year and 500-year floodplain. Flood insurance is required for all mortgaged properties located in the SFHA (Special Flood Hazard Area) also referred to as Zone A or the 100-year floodplain. View the county’s flood map below to find out if your property will be affected. Options for those looking to Floodplainappeal their property’s floodplain designation are also provided below.

County Flood Map

Search the county’s flood map to determine whether or not your property is located in the new floodplain. After entering your address at the top of the page and selecting Filter, Click on Themes –> Floodplains to see if your property is located within the floodplain.

Note: Pink represents the 500-year floodplain and blue represents the 100-year floodplain.

LOMC (Letter of Map Change)

If you believe that your property is being affected by an error in the revised FIRM, you are encouraged to submit a Letter of Map Change (LOMC). The two types of LOMCs are LOMA (Letter of Map Amendment) and LOMR (Letter of Map Revision). You can learn more about each of these by going to the LOMA/LOMR application located on fema.gov. When submitting an application, please make sure to attach the property’s Elevation Certificate. Homeowners are encouraged to update their Elevation Certificate before submitting their application. Keep in mind that a licensed surveyor must be hired by the homeowner to complete the process for obtaining an Elevation Certificate with the property owner bearing 100% of the cost. To learn more about what documents are required for a LOMA, go to LOMA information.

SFHA Lender Appeal

If your lender determines that your property is located in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and you would like to appeal their decision, please read more about the lender appeal process on fema.gov by clicking on FAQ #3 “If I disagree with my lender’s determination that I am in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), what can I do?“.

Historic Structures

For information on how the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) defines and manages historic properties, go to FEMA’s Floodplain Management Bulletin on Historic Structures.

Flood Insurance

To learn more about your flood insurance options, visit floodsmart.gov or talk to your insurance agent. You may want to ask your agent how certain improvements such as floodproofing your home may lower your insurance premiums.

For Insurance Agents

The National Flood Insurance Program offers free online courses in basic and advanced flood insurance topics created especially for insurance agents. Learn the fundamentals or expand your knowledge, and help your clients be better prepared.

More Information

To get more background on how Federal legislation has affected the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) program, please read this information on NFIP rate changes.

The City of Carver also held a Resident Floodplain Workshop on June 23, 2015. To see more on this workshop, view the video or visit the workshop page.

DocumentsDate Posted
FEMA-Critical Facilities and Higher Standards7/20/15
June 23, 2015 - Work Session Presentation7/15/15