Insure Your Property for Your Flood Hazard

If you do not have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Most homeowners' insurance policies do not cover losses due to flooding. Flood insurance is only available to those participating communities in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Carver participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, which makes flood insurance available to everyone in the City even if your property is outside of the flood plain areas.

For many people, their home and its contents represent their greatest investment. Be sure to check your policy to ensure you have adequate coverage. Usually these policies cover the structure but not the contents. Content coverage can be obtained by asking. There is a 30-day waiting period before insurance coverage becomes effective. Plan ahead; do not wait until a flood is predicted before purchasing flood insurance.

The cost of the policy will vary depending on the amount of coverage and the degree of the flood hazard. Carver participates in the Community Rating System (CRS), which reduces flood insurance policy rates through proper floodplain management programs. Information about flood insurance can be obtained from your insurance agent. You do not have to live in the flood plain to qualify for flood insurance. Property owners can insure their buildings and contents and renters can insure their possessions.